PEHLI NAZAR FROM MOVIE RACE SUNG BY ATIF ASLAM

Google
 

Tuesday, December 18, 2007

TV tycoon Ekta Kapoor

The one blind spot in her reputation as India's youngest female tycoon was film production. `Kya Kool Hain Hum' has taken care of that. "After three duds as a producer (`Kyunkii Main Jhooth Nahin Bolta,' `Kuchh To Hai' and `Krishna Cottage'), I finally have a hit on my hands, never mind a raunchy hit, as I'm constantly reminded. I'm not ashamed or apologetic about `Kya Kool...' It was always meant to be a sex comedy. Audiences couldn't have gone to it thinking it was a mythological [film]."

Now Ekta really warms up to the topic. "And how come we giggle and chuckle at the off-colour humour in `American Pie,' but faint in horror at the same in a Hindi film?"

Speaking of horror, Ekta isn't giving up that genre. "My mom looks at me with horror each time I mention making another horror film. But I love horror films. I love Ram Gopal Varma's cinema. That's what I'd like to make. But for now I've decided to make two films. One will be a romantic comedy with my brother Tusshar and a new girl in the lead. We'll launch a nation-wide star hunt for the new girl in collaboration with a TV channel."

Lucky Tusshar. Behen ho to aisi. "Yeah I love my Tusky," Ekta gets as mushy as one of the ladies in her soap. "In fact I postponed my birthday party by a week for my brother who is out of the country... And by the way, I've thought of the ideal return gift for him... a sequel to `Kya Kool Hain Hum!' Ha ha."

No that isn't a joke. Tusshar gets to team up with Riteish again for a sequel. "I had to do it!" protests the TV-turned-film-magnate. "They were clamouring for it. Tusshar and Riteish have become such a hit pair. They've been offered four films together." That's more than the hit pair of the season, Akshay Kumar and Priyanka Chopra, is doing. Ekta chuckles at the thought.

No comments: